Dr. Bronner’s Soap
I straight up love Dr. Bronner’s Soap! I have been using it for over 3 years now and I’m still finding new uses for it. I initially bought it to use as a body wash on a camping trip because it was biodegradable and safe for wildlife and plants. Even after that trip, I continued to use it as a body wash and now I use it for much more, there’s a good reason why they call it All in One Magic Soap!
I prefer the Lavender scented soap but Dr. Bronner’s also offers Unscented, Peppermint, Rose, Almond, Eucalyptus, Tea Tree and Citrus! If you’re using your Dr. Bronner’s Soap for a shampoo which I do, you can add a little milk or oil like coconut oil to help is sud up better. I like using the citrus scent to wash dishes and household cleaning.
Uses for Dr. Bronner’s Soap:
- SHAVING – Dilute one part liquid castile soap to two parts of water and massage into skin as a shaving lubricant.
- SHAMPOO – Wet hair thoroughly and massage a small amount of liquid castile soap into your hands until a lather forms. Wash hair and rinse well.
- DENTAL CLEANING – Put a single drop on your toothbrush (almond, peppermint, and citrus are nice flavors to use) and brush and rinse as per usual. This is great for sensitive teeth and gums, and will also clean dentures effectively.
- BODY WASH – Wet skin and massage a small amount onto a cloth, loofah or sponge then wash and exfoliate at the same time. You can also just apply directly to the skin – you only need a tiny amount!
- HOT TOWEL MASSAGE – For facial packs, scalp and soothing body rub, add a dash of liquid castile soap on a bath towel in sink of hot water. Wring the towel out and place it over the face & scalp. Massage with your fingertips. Repeat on each area of the body until the arms, legs & entire body have been massaged (using light strokes towards the heart.) Rinse the towel in plain hot water and massage again. Breathe deeply! Choose whichever scent makes your heart sing.
- BATHING – Add a squirt to a bathtub of water at the beginning for bubbles, or after the bath has been drawn for a relaxing soak without bubbles. Rose is a divine fragrance for this use.
- DEODORANT – Add 1-2ml (0.05 fl oz) to a spray bottle of water (125ml/4.2 fl oz) along with a teaspoon of Himalayan crystal salt for best results. Rose, Citrus, Lavender or Tea Tree are effective – or just choose whichever scent appeals from the range of eight!
- BREATH FRESHENER – One or two drops in a spray bottle containing 50-125ml (1.7-4.2 fl oz) of distilled water helps to keep the breath fresh and prevent unhealthy bacteria from thriving in the gums and between the teeth. Peppermint, tea-tree, eucalyptus or citrus are great choices.
- MOUTHWASH – Add 1 drop to a shot glass of water, swish and rinse. Peppermint, tea-tree, eucalyptus or citrus are great choices.
- BABY WASH – Add a drop or two to a wet washcloth, or a couple of drops to the bath water. Baby Mild is ideal as it is completely natural and fragrance-free.
- AFTER-SHAVE – One or two drops in a spray bottle containing 50-125ml (1.7-4.2 fl oz) of distilled water helps to invigorate the skin and prevent shaving rash. Peppermint, Eucalyptus, or Tea Tree work well, or Baby Mild for sensitive skins.
- HAND SOAP – Dilute anywhere from 1 part castile soap to 4 parts water through to 1:1. You can also use the full strength soap with a foaming dispenser. Any scent is ideal for this application.
- FOOT SOAK – Add a tablespoon (15ml/0.5 fl oz) to a foot bath and relax! Peppermint is a great choice for hard or cracked heels, or use Tea Tree if fungal infections are a concern.
- LAUNDRY WASH – For the laundry, use 1/4 cup (62.5ml) for top-loading machines (1/8 cup for front loaders – 31.3ml); adjust as needed depending on hardness of water. Adding a dash of baking soda may also help. Great for nappy washing, as it is all natural and won’t contribute to nappy-rash. Also delicate enough to use for hand wash items, such as silks and wool. Any scent works well, or unscented if you prefer.
- PET WASH – Wet the coat of your pet thoroughly first then apply the liquid castile soap by massaging a small amount in your hands first until a lather is formed, then washing the hair/fur and rinsing clean afterward. Can also be added to the wash water for ease of use (one squirt is plenty). Choose a stronger scent to help deter fleas and ticks, or Baby Mild if your pet has very sensitive skin.
- FRUIT & VEGETABLE RINSE – Fill the sink with water and add a squirt of liquid castile soap to remove most chemical residues from fruit and vegetables. Baby Mild (unscented) is the best choice.
- PEST SPRAY – Use 1-2 tablespoons/about 23ml per liter (0.7 fl oz per quart) of water in a spray bottle for garden pests (4-6 tablespoons per gallon). Citrus, Lavender, or Baby Mild work well.
- HOUSEHOLD CLEANER – Dilute from one part soap into 40 parts water for light cleaning, to 1:1 or full strength for heavy-duty grease-dissolving jobs. Lavender, Citrus, Peppermint, Eucalyptus, Tea Tree work well – although Almond, Rose and Baby Mild are also great choices if you prefer those scents in your house (almond is my wife’s favorite).
What is Castile Soap?
In earlier centuries, an all-vegetable based soap was made in the Castile region of Spain from local olive oil. By the turn of this century, “Castile” had come to mean any vegetable oil-based soap, versus animal (tallow) fat-based soap.
“Pure-Castile” is now also your guarantee that what you are using is a real ecological and simple soap, not a complex blend of detergents with a higher ecological impact due to the waste stream during manufacture and slower biodegradability. Unfortunately, many synthetic detergent blends are deceptively labeled as “Liquid Soap” even when they contain absolutely no soap whatsoever.
Dr Bronner’s soaps are 100% true pure-castile soaps. The high foaming lather of these soaps is from their high coconut oil content, which makes a more luxurious and rich lather than any detergent can ever create. The ingredients are certified organic, fair trade and 100% vegan using no detergents, foaming agents or animal testing. They are packaged using 100% post-consumer recycled plastic.